Thursday, July 15, 2010

1. how you are prepared to participate


At Naropa University students develop critical intellect, engage in service to the world, explore their inner resources, participate in the creative arts and develop an understanding of the richness of human diversity. Given this, please tell us in an essay (minimum of 500 words) how you are prepared to participate in this distinctive community and how your life and educational goals would be reached by attending Naropa University.

Since I was fifteen I have been reading about Buddhism and Sufism, finding the teachings resonating a truth deep within. I was always pulled towards self discovery and awareness, whether it be manifested through athletic focus and competition, creative expression within dance, or an interest in social and environmental issues.

My perspective is that of Holism, where every part is integrated and interrelated with the others. For a while, I felt different from my peers and internally isolated; I was interested in issues of existential reality when most of my friends where more interested in gossip and the mainstream ideas. I would wonder, how could some people be so unaware or disinterested in the macro and micro dilemnas. Senseless conversations, unsustainable consuming, destructive habits, such ideas plagued my being with confusion and sadness. I was partaking in an internal struggle and resisting what was. But, those concerns where the catalyst to my passion for change and self-improvement; the catalyst to becoming tolerant yet curious; and finally blending a sense of acceptance with productivity and action.

After high school, it took me some time to commit going back to school. But once I started, I knew I was embarking on a journey of discovery. I picked classes specifically to answer inner questions or out of curiosity of the subject, while also fulfilling my transfer requirements. I whole-heartily engulfed in the topics, or fully withdrew if they where not meeting my educational requirements. Selfishly, I wanted to figure "it" out and develop relationships with my professors, not just pass along in a class among the many. For two years I volunteered with the Student Sustainable Crew Program, which focused on us teaching peers: on diverting solid waste through recycling, become water efficient, eliminating toxic chemicals, minimizing transportation impacts, reducing energy use, and better consumer choices. In my fourth year of college, I ran for Student Secretary under the "Solid" Campaign, a group of my friends who where all concerned about "greening" the campus. We where interested in getting a food-garden on campus, a textbook- rental program started, and better food choices in the cafeteria. Our entire running party was elected by a landslide, even a new position in the Associated Student Government was created called the Director of Sustainability. But like many idealistic and enormous ideas, we where met with a lot of resistance from some teachers and Advisors. That was my first real experience to witness the ongoing bureaucracy and top-down power and control that has been part of our social system. No matter how much the students inspired and motivated the prospect of change, we where going against the status quo. What irony. Needless to say, I was disenchanted with the whole idea, and decided that my energies where better spent traveling and learning about how people live, directly.

So I flew to Sweden at the end of my semester term. I was able to witness how an entire country, small as it may be, functions under a sustainable and social system. Universal health care, strong public transportation systems, the EPA that made an impact and is a leading force for national decisions. This was eye-opening. Years later I traveled the east coast of Australia by bicycle, where I was blown away by their sustainable and conscious practices. Water tanks at every house, clothes lines and the lack of dryers in both homes and apartment buildings. Bicycle lanes through out the cities; the decision to make, grow and consume domestic products as much as possible; conservation of water, energy, and the natural environment. The list was long of efficient practices, but it made me wonder, why where we so far behind in implementing ours?

It dawned on me, people do only what they know best. If we knew more, with our whole essence, and where taught and raised with better habits, then the world would look quite different. But we are still learning; either to rediscover the the mystery of the universe, or just move closer with it's vibration. My goal is to make objective and holistic decisions, and if I can inspire or educate other's, even better. Not only do I want to understand, more importantly I am ready to learn the theoretical as well as the hands-on techniques and information on becoming a more self sustaining person, living in a natural world. To apply the knowledge and my life experiences to create some kind of efficient system where I live. And it all stems from education.

Now, 25, a little wiser, I am eager to share, express and experience a holistic university. I am more aware of my strengths, short comings, and learning abilities. I know how to apply my self more efficiently and give full-heartily. I am also excited to participate and continue growing in contemplative dance practice, such as contact improvisation and yoga. I am excited about a school that applies meditation as an integral part of it's system. Acknowledging that life is a process, I am ready for this new chapter in that process.

No comments:

Post a Comment